We had a great time with Pete, Louise and Jas in Episode 3 of The Great Transformation (airing on Channel 4 on Wednesdays at 8pm).
I cannot get over how much people’s lives are truly transformed by what we create in 3 days. This one was loads of laughs, full of emotion and a great transformation. It just goes to show what you can do when you address the issues at hand and create a scheme around that.
This family had so many relatable problems with their home:
- Teenager craving her own space
- Lack of storage
- Toys taking over
- No designated work space
- Furniture that was the wrong size
- Can’t agree on a scheme for the home, opposing tastes
As designers we see this time and time again but there are always solutions, you just need to break it down into manageable steps.
Do you relate to these issues at home?
What is your number one problem you wish good design could solve?
On The Great Home Transformation and in my everyday design ethos, we are all about form follows function. We design to fix the issues and wrap them up in a beautiful aesthetic. 3 days isn’t long to achieve this but we throw everything at it to give the family a home to be proud of.
Now we have identified the problems it is all about solutions and this is what we tackled in this Episode.
Living Room Solutions:
- Increase the amount of storage so that toys can be hidden from view
- Create a multipurpose wall of storage which also integrates a hidden desk for Pete, freeing up the kitchen table.
- Add a coffee table for board games
- Remove the uncentered fireplace and create a new focal point
- Inject family’s personality through the decoration
- Introduce furniture of the right size
Have you read my catch up on Episode One? If not, read it here.
Have you read my catch up on Episode Two? If not, read it here.
Watch all episodes of The Great Home Transformation on Channel 4. Find out more here.
#GreatHomeTransformation #Channel4 #IkeaUK